I’m on my third Breadman. There is nothing like freshly baked bread and its the only way I can get my partner or my son Matthew to eat breads with whole grains. My other bread machines lasted years before burning out from over use. But since the arrival of this new machine in early December its been one pitfall after another.
When it arrived there was a ping in the side. No big deal it was still functional. I once again went out and bought all new ingredients. White flour, wheat flour, rye flour, dried powdered milk, and a jar of fresh yeast. I moved the bread machine to the counter beside the dish drain there is an outlet and set the first loaf to dough. I like shaping and baking the breads in the oven in the colder months.
With the start of the machine, Peanut the dog didn’t like this commotion going on in her room and patiently waited by the door to be let out. After a few minutes, I let her out and then I went into the living room while the machine did it’s thing. “Awe, poor Peanut the dog has forgotten the goings of the bread machine, it has been so long.”
Well, it’s a good thing I let her out because the new bread machine agitated off the counter and crashed onto the kitchen floor. Poor Peanut the dog, would of been scared into flight: up, up, and upon the forbidden couch had she been in the house. It was a good thing I had let her out to lay peacefully in the yard.
It was a hard fall from the counter to the floor. It unplugged its self from the wall with its cord still secured tight suitable for packaging and busted one of the two fittings of the top door to the machine in the crash. I suppose I should have given serious thought to the machine position on the counter in this unbalanced old farmhouse.
Determined I reset the machine, this time to a full dough through bake setting. I secured its position on the counter this time, fumbled with the top hoping it would remain securely closed for the duration temperature being utmost importance. I kept checking the top, finding it lifted a bit and wondered would ever be secure enough for the bake setting.
It didn’t rise as well as I would have liked. I was not sure if it was the fault of the machine or if I needed to tweak the recipe. Oh, I was so disappointed after waiting so long to replace the last machine. Since then, I have only used the machine on the dough setting and have made several nice breads and two batches of donuts for the holidays; an altered bread recipe that has worked to replicate my Baba’s frita, or what my father affectionately called ‘Baba’s greaseballs’.
The last recipe I made was a rye bread with orange rind and caraway seeds. When I took the dough out it needed more flour to knead and shape. I placed the dough hook aside emptying the last of the sticky remains from the pan. Replaced the hook on its side inside the pan and left it to soak. I baked the bread molded in a ring inside the greased bunt pan. It came out beautifully, holding its shape and rising nice, up and not out, with the help of the secured sides of Baba’s pan.
I’ve been fortunate as of late with help in the kitchen; the washing and putting away of the dishes, although finding things the next time around has been a challenge. The dough hook was in the pan, returned to the machine when I set that last loaf of rye. I’m always careful to remove the hook from the dough before I shape the loaf to go into the oven, as an ironic image of that hook within a loaf of baked bread enters my mind each time the dough plops onto the floured wooden work board.